Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Bike and More Work Issues (long)

Bike:
Derek and I spent a good 3 hours biking yesterday. It was awesome. I feel like I am in pain now but it is a great pain. I had a really good time and we got to see MUCH of DC. I am going to attempt a map.

We started at mile marker 11.5. We followed these 2 guys who seemed to know the trail pretty well.


Following the greenline through Fall Church:


We followed the trail through Arlington County and apparently another Fairfax county.


into arlington county:


At this point we kinda got lost. But we ended up near the Arlington Cemetary. We crossed the Arlington Memorial bridge to the Lincoln Memorial. Then it got really interesting. We went through George Washinton University and Georgetown on the streets. It was so cool. We were riding fast with little or no regard to our safety. Or at least thats how I felt. I wasn't scured though. We just went and it was fun as hell.

We crossed the francis Scott Key bridge and followed Custis all the way back to the starting point. Well almost to the starting point. I broke my chain about 2 miles from the end. I walked about 1.5 miles barefoot to Park Ave(first map) and Derek picked me up there. It sucked but I still had a kick ass time. Id say we did a good 35 miles by the time we were through. I don't know how to read my computer readout so I can't be more specific at this time. Needless to say it was a kick ass time. Now I need a new chain.

Work:
So we had this meeting today to discuss what could be done with my code. We went through some good stuff and Jamie Kunze wanted to get together to get us past the hump I am in. So we met up and pretty much found out that neither of us know the system well enough to do anything of any value. So we hacked around for a minute and found so many contradictions that it didn't make any sense.

I have a question for DEREK and and any other SE's out there who read this (I don't think there are any).
Here it is: Do you develop in the same place that you test? For instance, we do all of our code development on machine X. Then if we want to Unit test...UNIT TEST, we must move EVERYTHING over to a different machine which has the ENTIRE PRODUCT (Unit Test mind you). Then we run from there. That seems really pointless. I would like to build then run. I don't see why we need to do this. Anyway, this was one of the problems I have been having at work. Nobody clearly stated this to me. So I wasted too much time!

So now I am wasting the rest of the day sitting in from of my machine because everyone is on vacation. I can't get in touch with anyone on my team. Except Kathy.

Basically, I wish I had a good understanding of where Lockheed is going to take me. So I can at least aim towards a goal. Rather than float basically aimlessly. Oh yeah, and I also hate working on code that WILL be dead in a few months. I hate it.

No comments: