Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My GWT Adventures thus far

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I started playing around with GWT. I'm working on 2 different projects with it right now and its pretty exciting. I ran into my largest issue last night when I attempted to pass state objects to the clients. I came to a crossroad where I could have polling or persistent connections so the server could push updates. I learned about Comet and integrating this into my GWT app. Essentially you have the server maintain connections with each client. I felt that it wouldn't be appropriate. I feel like it doesn't scale all that well.

"Yeah, like polling does!?"

Well, polling isn't great, but you can deny a polling request with little or no backlash with the way I'm implementing the game. Also, if you need to, you can just redistribute new requests to a different server. Again, this is all with my implementation and I can see obvious situations where this wouldn't be the case.

So anyway, I've got basic functionality down, I need to throw a front end on it so I can do some string testing. I do wish that I was better at LNF type stuff.

Also I signed up for Twitter. I've seen some posts on Lifehacker and some other blogs so I figured I'd give it a shot. My friend Dave actually suggested a decent extension to this using your phone with GPS for live twitter action. That would be fun, and 1984.

No comments: